Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:36:50 -0400
David Kiracofe wrote:
> The migration of Mexican cuisine is a fascinating subject.  Most ethnic
> cuisines travel with the people as they settle in new places.  But
> Mexican cuisine has spread globally without a comparable spread of
> Mexican emigrants.  Obviously, lots of Mexicans move to the United
> States and have for generations, so no surprise, but you can find real
> Mexican food (as well as Taco Bell) in Asia or Europe.  The cuisine
> itself has globalized.

An interesting variant on the migration of cuisines (and the horizons of
entrepreneurship):

In the small upstate NY industrial town where I live, there aren't many
"ethnic" restaurants, so we treasure--if only briefly--each new one that
opens. A few years back, we had no Mexican restaurants at all, but did
have a couple of Chinese take-out operations. Then one day a new
self-styled "Tex-Mex" eatery appeared .  Giving it a try, I investigated
the place--trying to catch a glimpse of the chef, perusing the menu,
etc. The latter bore a strong resemblance to the take-out menu of the
Chinese restaurants (not the specific dishes but the layout, etc.). So
did the employees (wait staff, kitchen help, chef), as I quickly found
out. The one meal I had from the place obviously had more hoisin sauce
than salsa in it. One of the local Chinese restaurant owners was
evidently trying to expand and figured he'd try some other cuisine.
After about a month, it disappeared. One "size" does not "fit all."

How could I have drifted so far from VA history?? Sorry....

Doug Deal