From:
Robin Gabriel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 10:25:55 -0400
Thanks to all who sent me information on Hiero's (Hero's) fountain. I have
learned much since my first posting and have come to learn that Hero was
quite an inventor.

As for Thomas Jefferson and a hero's fountain....we have no evidence of one
being at Monticello, but we are still looking around.

To answer the inquiries about water collection at Monticello....Not only did
Jefferson have a well on the top of the mountain (near the kitchen), but he
also had an elaborate water collection system that collected rain water into
cisterns. We do not know if the cistern water was used for drinking (it is
very close to the privies). The other water sources on the mountain were a
north spring and a south spring about half-way down the mountain. I have
never heard of a pump system being used with the springs, but will look into
this. I have heard that when the mountaintop well ran dry, water was carted
up in barrels from one of the springs.

- - -
Robin H. Gabriel
Director of Education