From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 21:20:11 -0400
Paul,

I am retired now, and while I can tell inspiring stories about the days
when, my modest contribution to education now is limited to what I write and
upload on the web. I truly hope that as education branches out from the
textbook to the richness that is possible on the World Wide Web, that we
will see students taking more of an interest in the little details that make
the story of history worth knowing, than back in the days when I was in high
school and "history" consisted of memorizing lists of dates and battles with
narry a name that wasn't preceded by General or President.

I recently read a book that I hope to make into one of my personalized
stories, about the great interpreter between the Pennsylvania colonists and
the Native Americans of that part of the country, Conrad Weiser. It is sad
that the county I grew up in was where this great man lived and from which
he made his extensive travels into "Indian Country" to bring to two cultures
into understanding, but I don't for the life of me remember ever learning
anything about him. Schools and such are named for him in my home county,
but I never learned who he was or why so much was named for him, including
his "homestead" along a frequently traveled highway. Conrad Weiser was to
Pennsylvania what Pocahontas would have been to Virginia if she had lived
longer.

The challenge I face is getting the word out to the teachers and parents
that my website is there for them to use, along with the many others I have
found in my work, that can do so much more for today's students than hanging
in dangerous chat rooms.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert