From:
"Craig R. Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:40:14 -0400
I would like to thank you for my laugh of the day. I find it important to my
mental health to laugh each day.

I can remember my first day, my freshman year at the University of the
South, in my first college history class having to answer the question;
"What is history?"

My history professor that day was Dr. Anita Goodstein, and even after her
death, she is remembered as a well loved and respected historian. She taught
me much. Some of you may be aware of the Anita S. Goodstein Junior Scholar's
Prize in American Women's History.

That day she taught me; "History is the opinion of the historian."

That day I said to myself: "What do I care about opinions, I'm a
genealogist, where is the evidence?"

I remain a genealogist. You see culture, politics, economics and ideas
result because of individual people and their interactions with the people
around them. That makes me a micro-historian. I personally care about the
private soldiers, I leave the generals to others (unless his name is Mosby
Monroe Parsons, but that is a different issue). But always remember what a
general is without privates. There are several possibilities.

Last Saturday, I gave a talk to the Joint Maryland-Virginia Genealogical
Society Conference at Frederick County Community College, Frederick
Maryland. The topic was Quaker Migration and addressed the issue of reasons
for Quaker movement south and west between 1750 and 1825. The basis for my
research was Quaker records, Certificates of Removal, and the circumstances
of the family before and after their move or moves. A topic of interest to
historians, as reasons for migration deal with issues of culture, politics,
economics and ideas. They also deal with the issues of community and
kinship. I sadly have to report that I used twenty years of genealogical
research on the movement of a Quaker family of Bucks County, Pennsylvania
into Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Ohio, Indiana and Iowa as the basis
for the discussion. But I am happy to relate that I did not use a single
pension record and there was no mention of belly buttons.

As I say, thanks for the laugh today. Personally I like being a publisher of
all those sad little books. And a few other not so sad, I might add. <G> My
experience with the historians I know, and they know me as a genealogist,
has always been one of respect for my contribution to the field of our
mutual endeavors. Where historians and genealogists have worked together, in
my opinion, there has always been a better understanding of the different
roles that each plays in the process. But then as I said, Dr. Goodstein
taught me, "History is the opinion of the historian".

Well on to gather more evidence. Evidence is what is required in order to
apply this tricky little concept known as "Genealogical Proof Standard". We
genealogists who focus people, because we deal with the micro-history, have
much stricter standards than opinion.

C.

Craig R. Scott, CGRS
President & CEO