From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:10:16 -0500
Indeed a sad state of affairs that 'Carry Me Back to Old Virginia' was retired.  I call your attention to two neighboring states who had the good sense to hold on to something good and adapt it to changing times.

Kentucky - If you look at the original Stephen Foster words, it will turn the complexion of a Civil Libertarian blue.  Happy verses about folks rolling on the cabin floor et al which are better left of a  VA-HIST discussion list.  But every May 1, you hear the trumpeter play it, and if I recall correctly, in some recent years, a chorus from the US Naval Academy sang the more politically correct words.

Maryland - My favorite verse (obviously written by a Virginian, after the unfortunate incident when Union troops fired upon some agitators in downtown Baltimore):

"Avenge the pa....triotic gore. That flecked the streets, of Baltimore...."

Obviously, this verse was not at the top of the charts when Maryland selected (or perhaps rewrote) words more to their choosing.
And don't forget that the song was not originally about Maryland.  I believe it was German Oh Tannebaum, Oh Tannenbaum"

So lets give Shenandoah a chance.  Maybe even Jimmy Dean will pen some words to fit the tune!!!!

Randy Cabell