From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2011 20:56:49 -0400
Stumbled upon this while looking for other things in the Archives Reading
Room at LVA.
     Judge Isaac Smith, of Alexandria, Virginia, March 5, 1778, writing to
explain why he was unable to accept a request to help out at a neighboring
court :

“For some time past I have had the Piles so bad that I could not sit at Home
without a Cushion. Riding on Horseback therefore is impracticable, and in a
Chair, at this Season of the year, and with such a Distance is as much
so.  Over
and above, I have been making so free with Mercury, to cure this cursed
Scotch-Tory Disorder the Itch; that being much exposed to the cold would be
attended with real Danger.”

Virginia Miscellany, Box: 1 folder: 1, Acc. 24715, Library of Virginia,
Richmond.

Jon Kukla