From:
Barbara Vines Little <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:51:45 -0500
Actually the state did not/still does not care who paid/pays the tax as long
as it is paid. I can provide examples --both current and historical--in
which someone other than the owner of record was paying --frequently for
years.

The widow was charged with the tax for her dower interest; whether or not
she paid the tax was another story. Typically --but not always--you will
find the owner listed even if someone other than the owner paid the tax.
Leases are sometimes the exception.

Barbara

Barbara Vines Little, CG
PO Box 1273
Orange, VA 22960
phone/fax 540-832-3473 (evenings)

CG is a service mark of the Board for Certification of
Genealogists®, used under license by board-certified associates who meet
genealogical competency standards prescribed for those programs.