From:
"Metz, John (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2016 20:32:06 +0000
Jon

Is McCusker the author that is prompting your inquiry?  I have used a site that provides historical data on commodity price indices that I find pretty reliable.  It is the Institute for Social History (http://www.iisg.nl/hpw/data.php) they have a boatload of data from all over the world and from a range of time periods.  I think the one you'd be most interested in is under the United States heading, fairly far down the page.  It is: "Prices and wages in Chesapeake, 1733-1827", which has a link to a spreadsheet.  It was derived from (1) "Provisioning Early American Towns.  The Chesapeake: A Multidisciplinary Case Study.  Final Performance Report by Lois Carr and Lorena Walsh" as well as (2) McCusker and (3) Decadal averages of wages, pasted from the Excel file "Maryland 1752-1856," and originally from Donald R. Adams, Jr. "Prices and Wages in Maryland 1750-1850," Journal of Economic History 46, 3 (September 1986): 625-646. Adams made assumptions about the shillings and pence per dollar in the colonial era, based on some scattered evidence. See his article, footnote 5.

There are also lots of other datasets that might be of help and interest.

Let me know what you think,

John