From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:22:40 GMT
Yep, the internet is wonderful, as long as we have electricity. I live in California where they often have brown outs in the summer. Sometimes the lights just go out, especially during a storm. I still believe that books are a more reliable source for information. Don't make light of the papyrus and Banana Leaves that the ancients used. They were the fore runners to our books. They have stood the test of time, and we have yet to see if our modern technology will. We are way too dependent on plastics, and alloys, the processing of which may render our planet inhabitable (imho).

Anita

-- Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
To Doug Deal and All,

    While it is true that there are rare manuscripts in Arabic in the Sahara
and Sanscrit, Pali scrit, and other manuscripts written in other esoteric
languages on paper, banana leaves, not to mention coneiform on clay tablets.
But two things need to be observed about these rare speciments.  First, most
of the people in those areas do not have access to the documents.  Second,
all this material will ultimately be scanned and available on the Internet.
Thirdly, we had better hope that they do get scanned because the
repositories will almost certainly be destroyed in the wars and rebellions
that are rising in the Third World countryside.

Books have been designed for cool dry countries.  They rot in tropical
climes.  The Internet, much as it makes me uncomfortable, is a better medium
for research for most of the people on Earth.

Harold S. Forsythe