From:
Tom Apple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:20:56 -0400
macbd1 wrote:

><snip>  please consider the following as to the
>likely location of 'original' Pleasure House.
>
>I agree the 'original' Pleasure House should be shown as being located on
>'the island' of the Benedict Arnold map of 1781.  However, it 'is' shown as
>being located about midway between Lynnhaven inlet and Little Creek inlet,
>the same for 'Aiguade' house of the 1775 French map. <snip>  As I understand, this is the clearly
>identified red/white dash-marked road on the topozone map (see following
>link) that runs from immediatedly south of Robbins Corner toward the
>northeast and then abruptly turns 'north by northeast,' finally running
>'very' close to Rt. 13 near the Chesapeake bridge and ending near Chesapeake
>Beach, only 1/4 mile or so east of Chub Lake.  Note that the termination of
>this road would be very close to the Pleasure House location shown on the
>maps of 1775 and 1781.  The road that runs slightly west of due north from
>Robbins Corner on the topozone map would seem to match the road on the 1781
>map that terminated at the house of 'Col. Pane/Dane/James?'

Neil,

I think you have a very valid point. In looking over your topo link, I
would tend to agree that Pleasure House was probably closer to the Ches.
Bay. Bridge-Tunnel landing than to Little Creek Inlet. In that regard,
it would seem the 1826 map is in error as to the location of Pleasure
House Point which is shown on the Lynnhaven Inlet side of the "island"
on the topo map. It would not be the first discrepancy I've found on
those old maps.   The 1826 map seems to show Pleasure House Rd. stopping
just short of Pleasure House Creek. The cartographer must have gotten
his featureless sandy points of land confused.

I have pondered whether P.H. was located on the south side of PH Creek
as shown in the B. Arnold map (1781). But a 1813 newspaper account talks
about the Brits landing at PH under truce to drop off some prisoners and
civilians picked up from prizes taken in the Chesapeake. That does not
sound like anyone had to cross a creek to get to it when landing from
the Bay. I'd love to find another period map of the area showing PH.

Thanks for your insight, Neil.

>PSS - I cut-off the "files3/pa-county3.jpg" string in my browser window to
>obtain your personal web site -- good show!

Just wait till we get our new line of pewter online in the next week or so.

Cheers,

Tom A.