From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:07:43 -0600
Before all of you folks get crazy about North-South stuff, sonsider the
following.

Southern history is a respectable field of US history taught at most
U.S. universities.  Where I did my PhD the most distinguished scholar
held the line in Southern history (John Hope Franklin at Chicago);
Harvard hired David Donald as a "southern historian" and Yale hired C.
Van Woodward for the same purpose.  If you count Oklahoma (John Hope's
home) as "southern" then all three were southern born scholars teaching
at major northern universities.  I suspect  you will not find a chair at
UVA or UNC or any other southern school for "New England History."  My
point is that people in the North, as well as the South, take southern
history quite seriously.

The reason Jamestown is ignored (if it is) is because as a setlement it
failed; the only thing that kep Jamestown alive was the constant arrival
 of new people to replace those who died; except for hte first year that
was not so true in Plymouth and never true in Mass. Bay.  On the other
hand, if you look important work by historians, there is a great deal of
excellent work on early Virginia, such as Ed Morgan's American Slavery,
American Freedom.  Jamestown may or may not be ignored (that is an
interesting empirical question which I suppose someone could answer);
but we know very well that early Virginia is key to any history of
colonial America.

Paul Finkelman

--
Paul Finkelman