From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 11:03:27 -0500
Yes, wouldn't it? Upon reaching the Shenandoah River, they of course
feasted and drank more toasts to the King and to his family [one
wonders to what degree- 5th cousins? Great-great aunts? Another
round, boys!]; the account lists Virginia red wine and white wine,
Irish whiskey, brandy, shrub, two kinds of rum, champagne, canary,
cherry punch, cider, "etc." Maybe that's why there is no list of the
gentlemen along. Everyone forgot who was there, once they got home
and their wives made them sober up.

That could bring up another topic for this group- the amazing
alcoholic drinks that were common in the south. "Chatham Artillery
Punch" from SC, and I need to look up a similar concoction mixed for
the barbeques of the Richmond Light Infantry Blues. Apparently all
these local militias had their own recipes. Incredible stuff, they
would probably double as paint-stripper.

After doing more reading I am thinking Rt 33 was not where they
crossed, the now-closed road would be more likely. Accounts tell of
Spotswood taking tools to engrave the King's name on the highest
peak, which they named after him, but the stone was so hard it
wouldn't work. Now I used to practically live along the drive, hiked
many trails, and have some geology books about Skyline Drive. The
stone around Rt 33 is softer, quartzite, shale, sandstones, basalts.
Stone engraving tools should have worked on those. But farther north
is the Pedlar/ Old Rag granite, some of the oldest rock on earth [1.1
billion years] and it is extremely hard. After all, it has withstood
weathering for 1.1 billion years! That road would have gone right
through an area full of it, right by Old Rag Mountain itself, to the
north, and to the south of the road would have been Upper Hawksbill,
the highest point; could that have been the "highest mountain" they
named for the king? They also reached the Shenandoah River 7 miles
after getting down into the valley. A quick look at maps seems to
show that the Rt. 33 road was too close to the river; the now-closed
road would have been about right.  It makes a lot more sense overall
than the Rt. 33 road.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone