Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:22:46 EST
Whether by generally non-violent means in Virginia, or by far more blatant
tactics in the Deep South, Reconstruction was undone, as described by Lemann's
book, Ayers's review, and most of the posters on this topic, from various
points of view.

Why it was allowed to happen?  White Southerners had just gotten their clocks
cleaned rather thoroughly, more so than any other Americans before or since.
The North could have done anything it wished.  Were whites in the North, and
their government, able to win the war, but not prepared to win the peace, or
willing to spend and sacrifice what that victory would have taken?  From a
certain perspective, it looks like they were unwilling to "stay the course," but
chose to "cut and run."  Or pehaps, they just did not care very much about the
freedmen.

Or pehaps the situation in the South (like Iraq) was unwinnable.

I'm reminded of another war we lost.  Sidney Lens dedicated The Forging of
the American Empire (1971) "To the children of Vietnam, who are being murdered
and maimed by my government--and yours."

Michael B. Chesson
U/Mass-Boston