From:
Gregg Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 09:47:53 -0500
I don't believe anyone has mentioned Dan Crofts' fine book "Reluctant
Confederates: Upper South Unionists in the Secession Crisis" (University of
North Carolina Press, 1989), which obviously is relevant to this discussion.
He gives a detailed chronology of events in Virginia and Richmond.
The crisis at Sumter, the course of various peace negotiations, the presence
of pro-secession militias and demonstrations in the capital, and and
Lincoln's mobilization of troops were a few of the many factors.

Gregg Kimball