From:
Beth Bond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 12:05:56 -0400
Hello,
   Since I have asked for information today twice I thought that I should
give some for a change!

  This interesting story is from "The News Leader," Richmond, Va., Saturday
Afternoon, December 26, 1903 issue, p. 5, c. 3.

                QUARREL ENDED FATALLY.
 Shooting Affray in Rappahannock County Store.
 LURAY, VA., Dec. 26.-A fatal shooting occured at Woodville, Rappahannock
county Thursday night, in which Joseph Kibler, a citizen of that county was
killed by Hugh Elkins, a brother of George C. Elkins, member of the
legislature from Page and Rappahannock counties.
 The scene of the tragedy is remote from railroad, and particulars are hard
to obtain, but it is stated that Kibler, with several companions, were in a
store in Woodville, cooing oysters, when young Elkins entered and engaged in
conversation with the men. A quarrel soon arose between Kibler and Elkins,
and the latter is allged to have knocked the oysters from the stove. This
brought on a personal encounter between Kibler and Elkins, in which the
latter fared badly. Elkins, it is said, immediately left the store and went
to his home, where he secured a shotgun and returned to the store and shot
Kibler, who died a few minutes later.
 Elkins left immediately, and though every effort has been made tolocate
him, he has not been apprehended. Kibler was a brother of W. H. Kibler, the
depot agent at Kimball, this county.

                       Beth