From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:31:55 -0700
A DNA test can only prove a direct descent, along maternal (for females), and paternal lines (for males), although males can also be tested for Mitochondrial (female) DNA. The problem may be in finding a relative who is on that straight line. When I had my DNA test taken, it was through my straight maternal line. There are others in the family who have taken tests (my brother for paternal/maternal) to prove direct descendancy. I don't know if that is the issue, but if so one way to resolve it is to find a relative on that direct line.

I saw a story many years ago about a lady who stated she was a direct descendant of James Madison.

Anita