Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:18:58 -0500
I read that in the case of tobacco the 'suckers' grow mostly from sides of
the main stalk, as new shoots or leaves, similar I guess to those found on
the side of the trunk and large branches of fruit trees (but unlike the
large suckers that grow from a fruit tree's roots.)  Chemicals are now used
for minimizing growth of these suckers that indeed reduce valuable nutrients
needed by large leaves of the main plant.  Tobacco growth can deplete nearly
all of the soil's natural nutrients in a short time (within 3 years or less
without fertilizer) so tobacco 'patches' never lasted very long in one
location prior to fertilizer use.  So...sucker 'hunting' required more than
simply inspecting the base of the plant's stalk and a good hunter was
probably well worth his/her pay -- if indeed working for pay.

Regards,
Neil McDonald