From:
Adrian Zolkover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:36:57 -0700
Professor Hardwick:

You state that I make "ad hominen" [appealing to personal interests,
prejudices, emotions rather than to reason] attacks and impute motivations
to other people. I disagree with your accusation; and furthermore I accuse
you of making ad hominen attacks on me. And since when are posters held to
limit or expand their introductory comments to the scrutiny you make of
mine, and that I make "claims". You state "Her [Gordon-Reed's] latest book
presumes the truth of the argument she makes in her earlier book. You will
note, if you check her footnotes, that she is quite straight forward about
this assumption. This . is exactly what scholars are supposed to do." I
disagree. And I have watched and heard her at interviews state definitely
that Thomas Jefferson is the father of all of Sally Heming's children.
Regarding Professor Kiracofe, I think some of his questions and comments are
well advised, and I answered them. He states "They [scholars] have merely
accumulated a series of facts, analyzed them in reasonable ways, and
presented an interpretation that builds upon that analysis." Yeah, but if
they make their interpretations of significance and importance famous to
repeated groups of students or in books and films, and they repeatedly
ignore and do not report available and most compelling evidence which would
lead to other conclusions, they are misleading and misusing their positions
of authority; and responders should not be forbidden to evaluate that.

If a writer is writing about a family, and states that the mother of that
house, who has been repeatedly warned to correct the problems, for many
years has allowed garbage and trash on counters, furniture, the floors, and
there is an abundance of roaches and broken glass where infants crawl; you
would prohibit that writer from concluding that house was dangerous and the
mother's housekeeping standards must be improved or other corrective actions
should be taken. This is not a personal attack. In the case where a teacher
or writer is paid for their work and at work they repeatedly make
unqualified statements or write that a public figure of great significance
fathered multiple children by a slave, which was against the stated
principles of that public figure; and even though there is an abundance of
evidence which they repeatedly ignore and exclude against their statement,
and no evidence to prove the statement that as an unqualified fact, he was
the father of all or any of this slave's children, you consider objecting to
their statements personal and unreasonable.

I wrote:     "And some 'scholars' that state in writing and lectures that he
was the father of Eston and or more of her children are those that own and
work for Monticello and are professors at the University of Virginia, both
institutions that were founded by Thomas Jefferson. They have a fundamental
responsibility not to lie and deface their founder Thomas Jefferson. With
its present administration, I think the Monticello Corporation has no reason
to continue as a public facility representing Thomas Jefferson, its founder,
or United States history. Academia would be better off without those that
misstate, deceive, lie, and prosecute their institutions' founder, instead
of presenting the available information and wherever it may lead.
[Underlining added.] They should be removed from their positions of
responsibility. THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL UNREASONABLE ATTACK.

 "I emphatically question the motives of people who have an agenda to
publish BIASED AND MISINFORMING opinions and conclusions [and to the extent
that they ignore most pertinent scientific evidence and historic evidence,
LIES]." THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL "AD HOMINEN" ATTACK.

"Raping the legacy of Thomas Jefferson is a disservice to society." If
someone is salaried for stating as a fact that you fathered 7 children whose
mother was a neighbor, 3 of which were when she was a minor, and there is no
proof; and the evidence would lead to the conclusion you did not do any of
this - they are raping your reputation. HOW POLITE AND CIVIL IS THAT?? Don't
expect people to walk in straight lines when following snakes.

To quote Brent Tarter's preceding memo "The DNA investigations and the
science are interesting but never likely to be conclusive." But the paid
professionals I am complaining about are not equivocal. They make repeated
statements, and leave a definite impression (possibly if you read a footnote
on one page out of 100 you would get a most vague qualification to something
else vague somewhere else) that Thomas Jefferson was the father of one,
more, or all of Thomas Jefferson's slave Sally's children.

I think it is pitiful that it takes a retired, unemployed person to launch
into this topic - A TOPIC CRICITCAL OF SCHOLARSHIP STANDARDS which is
definitely one of the issues at hand: issues such as historical accuracy
versus fiction versus lying versus malpractice. And when one does they are
accused of being "personal", "unreasonable", "uncivil" and "impolite". This
is the only posting that I have made in many months. I did not refer to
postings on this VA HISTORY web site.  And personally I'm glad the repeated,
same thing over and over about Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings stopped.
Per Professor Kiracofe "And so we are left with the historical evidence
which we have to analyze and interpret and we should be honest as we do so."
If he does this, I agree with him. "But I cannot see the good in ceding this
forum to posts such as the lengthy one from Adrian Zolkover. few [I
disagree] of the facts are relevant to the question of Jefferson's paternity
of Hemings' children." Here Professor Kiracofe would limit the ability of
any poster to present information carefully taken from carefully documented
books about Thomas Jefferson - that in my estimation contribute, most
directly, to explaining the person Thomas Jefferson, the man many "scholars"
state is the father to slave Sally's child or children. Professor Kiracofe
states ".Thus I believe, she [Adrian Zolkover] does a disservice to this
list." I think Professor Kiracofe is doing a disservice to this list by this
opinion. If you object to the topic of standards of scholarship, say that.

I think the public and many scholars have been deafened to the level of
sound bites. Bites back.

Adrian Zolkover