From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:07:09 -0400
Neil,

The reference was taken from Jon Kukla's book, and yes, it came from the
commonplace book. TJ was referring to sexual relief outside of marriage and
stated that he had found a perfect solution.

As to the pimping, that is conjecture on my part. Anyone who offers their
women to others for sex is pimping. If Tom did not know that his relatives
were playing with his maid under his eye, he should have. Where was he? If
he did know, then by any definition of pimping, Tom was a-doing it. Part of
being a magnanimous host?

My point is that you are not safeguarding Tom's sainthood by insisting that
other family members did the maid. Unless you have evidence that they
sneaked around behind Tom's back to press their need on the fair maiden,
then it seems reasonable to conclude that Tom knew and condoned the
practice. I know that slavery includes using the slave's body for labor, but
isn't this a bit much?

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert