From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:29:17 EDT
While you wait for the opportunity to go to the library and find the volumes
Mr. Kneebone cited, there are some online resources.  (Also, in "The Friendly
Virginians: America's First Quakers" by Jay Worrall, Jr., there is some
discussion of slavery, and MUCH discussion of Thomas Jefferson, which I had
forgotten..a must read for those interested in Quakers in Virginia)

In terms of the condensed timetable of the Quakers' official position on
slavery, I quote from Tom Hamm of Earlham College on the Quaker-Roots,
rootsweb list where the issue has been discussed in depth, repeatedly:

"Briefly, while there were signs of antislavery sentiment among
Friends as early as the 1670s, the movement "gathered steam" in the
1750s.  It was linked to a larger reform movement that generally
tightened the Discipline.  By 1784 all of the yearly meetings of
Friends had ruled that no member could own a slave, and that all
Quaker slaveholders must free them.  Of course, some Friends who
owned slaves chose to keep their slaves and lose their membership."

(At the end of this I have pasted in a submission by a group of Quakers in PA
in 1688 on the morality of slavery, which I hope some of you will find
interesting..  This is one of the first such treatises.  Note that it took
almost a full 100 years, a century, after certain members of the Quaker
community began questioning the morality of slavery before the entire U.S.
"organization" made slave ownership a cause for disownment -- a fact which
usually comes as a surprise to most)

There is an informative, online short historical ESSAY on Quakers and
Slavery, part of a Georgetown University course syllabus here:
http://www.georgetown.edu/departments/amer_studies/limit/slavery.html

There is a wonderful ONLINE BOOK, Reminiscences of Levi Coffin of the
Underground Railroad here:
http://moa.umdl.umich.edu/cgi/sgml/moa-idx?notisid=ABT8668  (To read go down
past the general description to the links for pictures and page numbers.)
Author: Coffin, Levi,
Title: Reminiscences of Levi Coffin, the reputed president of the underground
railroad; being a brief history of the labors of a lifetime in behalf of the
slave, with the stories of numerous fugitives, who gained their freedom
through his instrumentality, and many other incidents.
(note: he starts with Wm the Conqueror and 1066)