From:
EDWARD BOND <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:30:40 -0600
William Dawson was appointed commissary following Blair's death.  Many
historians of Virginia believe that the Reverend John Clayton served briefly
as the colony's first commissary.  As for a bishop of North America, some
documents suggest that ca. 1723 Bishop Gibson wanted to make Blair the
suffragan bishop of North America: “His L[or]d[sh]p seems fully convinced of
the Expediency of having Suffragan B[isho]ps on your Side of the Water, and if
Mr. Blair were on this Side now, I believe he would not return without such a
Character if he would accept it.”  And Gibson apparently planned to use the
commissariat as a means of getting the colonists to accept a bishop: "They
having been already used to a Commissary, A Bishop will come in upon them more
insensibly.”

     As commissary, Blair faced significant opposition from the parish
vestries.  The church in Virginia had been ignored by the Crown and the Church
for nearly 65 years when Bishop Compton appointed Clayton commissary.  When
Blair filled the post about five years later, vestries were extraordinarily
reluctant to relinquish any of their powers.  Blair also faced opposition from
the clergy.  They challenged the validity of his ordination.  They suspected
he was most interested in "worldly concerns" than piety and pastoral care.
They also realized that he held his appointment at the pleasure of the current
bishop of London and had to be reappointed each time a new man was elevated or
translated to the see.  On at least one occasion wayward clergy refused to
submit to discipline at Blair's hands because a new bishop of London had not
yet reappointed Blair as commissary.  Another factor that limited Blair's
power was his approach to solving problems.  Rather than rely on persuasion
(and he was a gifted writer who could use this approach when he chose to),
Blair tended to rely on the authority of his position in an overbearing
manner.

Edward L. Bond
Alabama A&M University

history          <[log in to unmask]> =====