From:
"S. Corneliussen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2009 08:28:32 -0500
> I understand that he wrote somebody that he wanted to establish
> a band at Monticello -- two oboes, two clarinets, two natural
> horns, two bassoons ... I would appreciate it if any of you
> Jefferson Scholars can pin down that letter for me so that
> I can reference it.

Interesting stuff. To me, this entry (below the dashed line) from the online
Jeffersonian Cyclopedia at the U.Va. electronic text center looks
suspiciously relevant. (So TJ wanted polymath servants. That guy was a real
dreamer sometimes, wasn't he? Just like Adams said. Well, good for him.)
Steve Corneliussen
Poquoson, Virginia

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

5587. MUSIC, Domestic bands. --
The bounds of an American fortune will not admit the indulgence of a
domestic band of musicians, yet I have thought that a passion for music
might be reconciled with that economy which we are obliged to observe. I
retain, for instance, among my domestic servants a gardener, a weaver, a
cabinet-maker, and a stone-cutter, to which I would add a vigneron. In a
country where, like yours [France] , music is cultivated and practiced by
every class of men, I suppose there might be found persons of these trades
who could perform on the French horn, clarionet, or hautboy, and bassoon, so
that one might have a band of two French horns, two clarionets, two
hautboys, and a bassoon, without enlarging his domestic expenses. A
certainty of employment for a half dozen years, and at the end of that time,
to find them, if they chose, a conveyance to their own country, might induce
them to come here on reasonable wages. Without meaning to give you trouble,
perhaps it might be practicable for you [* * *] to find out such men
disposed to come to America. Sobriety and good nature would be desirable
parts of their characters. If you think such a plan practicable, and will be
so kind as to inform me what will be necessary to be done on my part, I will
take care that it shall be done.
TITLE: To -- -- .
EDITION: Washington ed. i, 209.
EDITION: Ford ed., ii, 159.