Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 15:55:18 EST
In a message dated 2/5/2002 3:39:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> And I don't necessarily mean a historian postulating after the fact. It
> would be more interesting and reliable to see the takes of political
> thinkers and lawmakers at the time before the war.

David - See the available primary source materials in the state legislatures,
Congress, and newpapers surrounding the debates over the Missouri compromise.
If my memory serves me at all any longer, I seem to remeber this argument
being addressed in that context - though certainly not in that context alone.

Bill Russell