From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 14:55:33 -0500
It is important to remember that Robert E. Lee during the final five years
of his life was trying to provide of model of behavior for southern white
men.  See, for instance, his testimony before the Joint Congressional
Committee on Reconstruction.  Lee wasn't trained as a lawyer, he was trained
as an engineer at West Point, but none of those lawyers in Congress were
able to tie him up with their questions.  For Lee, the War was over when he
surrendered what was left of the Army of Northern Virginia, April 9, 1865.
Lee expected Virginia to survive within the Union and tried to set an
example.

Harold S. Forsythe