From:
Ed Truslow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:09:59 -0500
Sam,

I believe that there was an honest belief by Southern states, shared by many in the North, that secession was a constitutional right for whatever reason a state chose to exercise it.  The words "perpetual union" were not enshrined in the constitution.  Certainly there was and still is a divided opinion on the legality of secession.

Those who believe that secession was a legal act, are perforce ill treated by those who mock the use of the term "War of Northern Aggression".

Ed Truslow
Williamsburg