From:
Eric Huffstutler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Huffstutler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2017 11:28:19 -0400
"Capt" Charles Wills - War 1812 question

I have a bit of a puzzle that someone here may be able to help with or, have access to various databases on those who served in the War of 1812.

Charles Wills, born c.1776 in Isle of Wight County, Virginia and died 1820 in Richmond, Virginia. I see what appears to be him entered and left as rank "Private" in both COMPANY: 2 REG'T (BALLOWE'S) VIRGINIA MILITIA. and COMPANY: 19 REGIMENT (AMBLER'S) VIRGINIA MILITIA.

The problem is that he is later seen as "Captain" Charles Wills by the time he died. I am seeking when or where this occurred? I know there were local militias such as Camp Holly Springs and Richmond City Militia but unaware if he served in them post war? A few people believe he may have been a ship captain?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Eric