From:
Jean Spradlin-Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 23:19:58 -0600
Henry,

I don't know if this is related to what you're asking about.  But my
ancestor, Richard Henry Hubbell, and his brother, William Wheeler Hubbell,
moved from Pennsylvania to Appomattox Co., VA in about 1880.  They were
steel and railroad manufacturers from the Philadelphia area.  They co-owned
a plantation called Lamokin Farm, which was about 1000 acres located (it is
claimed by family lore) on the last battle line drawn up before Lee's
surrender.  The brothers raised tobacco, grain, and livestock, including
Jersey cattle, trotting mares, and Southdown sheep. Both Richard and William
eventually returned to Chester, PA, where they lived until their deaths.  As
late as 1920, their sons were still living in the area.  However, most of my
Hubbell line moved back to Pennsylvania.  I live in Birmingham, AL, so I
have not been able to find out about the ownership of the land after Richard
and William returned to Pennsylvania.

I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but I thought it might
interest you.

Happy New Year!

Jean Spradlin-Miller