From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:37:55 -0500
Hi Folks,

While General Nathanael Greene’s Southern Campaigns are certainly well known, Dr. Curtis Morgan will present his Northern Apprenticeship at the next ARRT-Richmond meeting on Wednesday, November 16, at 6:30 PM.  Dinner is from 5:30 – 6:30 PM. at the Heilman Dining Center at the University of Richmond.  Details, directions, and maps are at http://arrt-richmond.org/3.html.  Curtis will also tell us about his forthcoming work on Greene.

We will also be voting on a by-laws proposal that changes the audit of our financial records from yearly to biannually, to coincide with the two year term of our treasurer.

A few other items...

Here is information forwarded by Glenn Williams, President of the DC ARRT, about a new book on the Rhode Island Campaign of 1778.  Christian M. McBurney is a member of the DC Round Table.  I add my personal endorsement of the book.

I am pleased to report that my new book, The Rhode Island Campaign: The First French and American Operation of the Revolutionary War (Westholme), has been released and is now available on Amazon.com. It is a detailed history of the French and American joint operation in 1778 to try to capture Newport when it was occupied by a British army and ends with the most complete and accurate description of the Battle of Rhode Island. Participants included the Count D'Estaing, Lafayette, Nathaniel Greene, Paul Revere, John Hancock and John Sullivan. This is the first major book on this topic in more than 100 years.

Reviewer Dennis Conrad, editor of the Naval Documents of the American Revolution and Papers of General Nathaniel Greene, wrote that I provide "a fresh, nuanced, and compelling reinterpretation of the United States' first joint operation. Moreover, he does it with readable style. This work will be the standard for years to come."
Here is a link to the catalogue page for the book on my publisher's website. http://www.westholmepublishing.com/therhodeislandcampaign.html

Thanks! Christian M. McBurney

Another book.  On Saturday, November 26, Harry Ward will be signing copies of his new For Virginia and For Independence: Twenty-Eight Revolutionary War Soldiers From the Old Dominion.  Harry will be at the Barnes and Noble store on Broad and Libby in Richmond from 2 – 4 PM.  Stop in and visit with him.

Here’s a reminder of an upcoming SCAR event.

November 19, 2011 (Saturday) – Meet at Fort Mill, SC for our Corps of Discovery – Lord Cornwallis retreats, with his tail between his legs, to his camp of repose in Winnsboro, SC.  Gathering at the Rush Pavilion in the Anne Springs Close Greenway at 9:30 am, we will have a car-pool tour of extant segments of the Nation Ford Road following Lord Cornwallis’ inglorious retreat from Charlotte.  We’ll go to Capt. Thomas Spratt’s home site, site of a colonial fort, and cemetery, near the (now inaccessible) Nation Ford; cross Sugar Creek where Rawdon made the Loyalists act as draft animals; on to Land’s Ford where Cornwallis’ Army finally crossed the Catawba River; and to the old Waxhaws Presbyterian Church, site of British raids, Patriots’ graves, and the American hospital after Buford’s Defeat at the Battle of the Waxhaws.  We have a day full of sites and experts to tell the story of this British “strategic retreat”.  This Corps of Discovery is our third in our trilogy covering the first British invasion of Charlotte, North Carolina.  For more details, please see http://southerncampaign.org/cod.php.  Please download the trip handout from “Cornwallis’s Retreat from Charlotte”.

Both of these events are free, public invited, and will have moderately-priced “Dutch Treat” lunch catered.  No preregistration is required.  Light walking, but wear your walking shoes and dress for the weather.  There events are rain or shine.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Charles B. Baxley

For your consideration, this is excerpted from a letter by Jerry Hurwitz, President of the Princeton Battlefield Society.  The Princeton Battlefield is under attack from a proposed housing development.

Dear Friends,

Your commitment to the legacies of the American Revolution prompts me to write to you and your Round Table for support.  I do so because a critical segment of the Princeton Battlefield, the land on which General George Washington rallied his troops and broke the British line, is threatened by a housing development.  Today’s battle is a legal fight to guarantee that, with collective support, we will preserve this part of our nation’s past.

The Society is dedicated to preserving the heritage of the Battlefield, but we need help, and this is the reason I am writing to you and your Round Table associates.  In addition to financial support we will also need letters of support from many, many people and organizations.  I am asking you and your associates to consider how you would be willing to help us.  If your Round Table agrees to help, I would be eager to talk with you and to welcome your support.  For immediate contact, my email address is [log in to unmask] or I can be reached on my cell phone at 609-947-6574.

Their web site is http://saveprincetonbattlefield.org/index.htm.  This is certainly a worthy preservation cause.

I hope to see you on November 16.  Thanks.

Bill Welsch

Please let me know if you wish to be removed from our email list.  [log in to unmask]