From:
Mary Furbee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:27:41 -0400
Mary Rodd Furbee

1 Bryson Street

Morgantown, WV 26505

1-304-296-6460 or 1-304-293-3505, x5415

WEBSITE: mfurbee.com

Aug. 1, 2002

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Author releases seventh children's book on women in American history

They were courageous and resourceful pioneers.

They made arduous journeys, carved careers out of the wilderness, defied
conventions, and fought for their freedom.

They were community leaders, artists, and entrepreneurs.

The women profiled in Outrageous Women of the American Frontier, by West
Virginia author, Mary Rodd Furbee, boldly faced the gritty realities of
daily life and made their marks in history.

Published by John Wiley & Sons children's trade division, the book is
especially geared toward readers age 8-14.

Furbee's book -- the seventh book released she has released since 1999 --
has been favorably reviewed in Publisher's Weekly, Booklist, School Library
Journal, kidslit.com, Kendall Pittsburgh Magazine, the Charleston
Gazette-Mail, Kendal Rautzhan's nationally syndicated column of children's
book reviews, and numerous other periodicals.

Some of Furbee's other books include: Outrageous Women of Colonial America,
John Wiley & Sons 2001; Anne Bailey, Frontier Scout, and Shawnee Captive:
The Story of Mary Ingles, Morgan Reynolds, Inc.2001; and Women of the
American Revolution, Lucent Books, 1999.

Forthcoming in January 2003 is Outrageous Women of the Civil War Times.

Furbee is a graduate of West Virginia University, where she earned a
bachelor's degree in liberal arts and an MSJ in journalism. She has
presented at numerous conferences - the West Virginia Reading Association,
the Keystone State Reading Association, West Virginia Writers', Inc. - and
many others. In addition, she has been a featured visiting author in West
Virginia, Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania elementary, middle and high
schools.

Information on the author and her books is available on her website,
mfurbee.com.

NOTE: AUTHOR BIO ATTACHED

About the Author: Mary Rodd Furbee

Greetings! For the past 20 years, I have worked as a writer, editor, author
and television producer.

For the past several years, I have concentrated on writing children's books
and teaching half-time as a writing instructor at the WVU School of
Journalism. I also coordinate students' involvement in community journalism
projects, and in May 2002, I was very proud to receive an award for the best
service-learning course at the University.

As a children's book author, I have written several nonfiction biographies
or biographical sketches of women in American history (favorably reviewed by
Booklist, School Library Journal, Horn Book, Kidsbooks.com, Pittsburgh
Magazine, the Charleston Gazette-Mail, and numerous other publications).

 Most of my books are geared for young readers in grades 3-9. Outrageous
Women of Colonial America and Outrageous Women of the American Frontier were
published by John Wiley & Sons (JWS) in 2001 and 2002. Outrageous Women of
the Civil War Era will be released in the spring of 2003.

Also in 2001, Morgan Reynolds Publishing issued three narrative nonfiction
biographies of Appalachian women, for the school/library market. These
hardback books are geared for children age 9-12 and include: Shawnee
Captive: The Story of Mary Draper Ingles, Anne Bailey: Frontier Scout; and
Wild Rose: The Story of Cherokee Beloved Woman Nancy Ward.

In addition, I am the author of Women of the American Revolution and The
Importance of Mohandas Gandhi (Lucent Books) and The Complete Guide to West
Virginia Inns (for adults, South Wind Publishing).

Occasionally, I write nonfiction articles and columns, too, and these have
appeared in the Washington Post, Stars & Stripes, Cleveland Plain Dealer,
American Visions, The Progressive, Goldenseal, Now and Then, Potluck,
Potomac Review, Appalachian Journal, and numerous other newspapers and
magazines.

For more information, please contact:

Address:                     Mary Rodd Furbee

1 Bryson Street

Morgantown, WV 26505

Home phone:               304-296-6460

Work phone:               304-293-3505, ext. 5403

Email #1:                    [log in to unmask]

Website:                      mfurbee.com

For more information or to contact the author contact: