From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 15:41:59 -0500
I suppose one could make a geographical link between the Henrico area
where John Rolfe lived at the beginning of the 17th century and the mid
18th-century parish - but St. John's church dates from 1741.
jk

> The only place that may have had information on her age was St. Johns
> Church in Henrico County. That is the church where she married John Rolfe.
> The age would have been a guess only as Natives did not count years in the
> same way as Europeans. I doubt that there is a birth certificate for
> Pocahontas anywhere.
>
> Anita
>

> -- Langdon Hagen-Long <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> There is not enough factual information concerning Pocahontas's birth to
> offer anything but a question mark.  Even if a "certificate" had been
> produced in England, years after her birth,  it would be considered
> "heresay" and not enough documentation to use for a birthrecord  without a
> question mark, even if her parents signed it - which they didn't. And of
> course they didn't use our calendar either. You might ask this girl which
> Native American Church or Native tribe recorded her birth and produced a
> certificate - 12 years before English settlers arrived!   [some say she
> was 16, or 8  in 1607!]
>
>   Langdon Hagen-Long
>

> Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  Folks,
>
> I recently got a response from a 14 year old girl who was exploring my
> Pocahontas site http://www.educationalsynthesis.org/famamer/Pocahontas
>
> She wrote to tell me that the question mark by the date 1595 as her birth
> was in error. She said she is 12th generation descendent and an uncle did
> some research and found a copy of Pocahontas' birth certificate. I find a
> birth certificate a bit of a stretch, and wonder if a baptismal
> certificate
> is in some archives somewhere that gives her date of birth as Sept 17,
> 1595.
>
> Does anyone have any clue where this young historian got this date of
> birth?
>
> Anne
>
> Anne Pemberton
> http://www.erols.com/stevepem
> http://www.erols.com/apembert
> http://www.educationalsynthesis.org

Dr. Jon Kukla, Executive Vice-President
Red Hill - The Patrick Henry National Memorial
1250 Red Hill Road
Brookneal, Virginia 24528
www.redhill.org
Phone 434-376-2044 or 800-514-7463