From:
Connie Lapallo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:39:54 -0400
Hello,

Since I started this thread, I thought I should follow up.

Henry, I just wanted to add that this information (Martiau/Washington) is
fairly obscure (in my opinion), and I only stumbled upon it by accident while
studying the players in the 1635 rebellion. Washington/Martiau caught my
attention because of the ironies of the double connection to Yorktown and
both being rebellions of a sort--one of those tidbits that makes history so
much fun!

Also, Dan, you're so right about Martha McCartney's *Virginia Immigrants and
Adventurers, 1607-1635* and Dorman's *Adventures of Purse and Person*
being trusted and invaluable in Jamestown research. What would we do
without them?  (I didn't cite my sources, but before I posted about Martiau, I
verifed my information in McCartney. And I verified Washington's connection
to Martiau in *Adventures of Purse and Person*. It's always safe to check!  I
didn't list the mother of Martiau's daughter Elizabeth because it didn't seem to
be clear. The other connections seem fairly certain, according to Dorman. So,
apologies to the list for not citing sources. It didn't occur to me.)

As an aside, when using McCartney's book, I've found a good research
technique to be taking an entry's list of sources and then going directly to
those sources. A biographical entry doesn't allow all of the rich detail that is
sometimes available, and we know a surprising amount about the lives of the
colonists--not as much as we could, but more than we might.

Godspeed to everyone,
Connie

Connie Lapallo

Author of
Dark Enough to See the Stars in a Jamestown Sky
and its upcoming sequel
The Sun is but a Morning Star in a Jamestown Sky
www.ConnieLapallo.com