From:
Excalibur131 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:11:53 -0500
Heck, come to think of it, I don't remember much about Coke until I was
probably 10 or 12 and I don't think I tasted coffee until I was a teenager.
I do remember lots of Kool-Aid Popsicles in the summer though. As for real
Smithfield ham (yes, there are many pretenders out there) I'm not sure I'd
call them "rubbery," but I'd sure call them reallllllly goooooooood. Real
Smithfield ham is still around, thank goodness, and my family has it every
Christmas Eve. We used to have it with silver dollar biscuits, but good
silver dollar biscuits have simply gotten too hard to find and, if you find
decent ones, they cost a small fortune.

As a child I remember Granny cooking Smithfield ham. She'd start by putting
the ham in a sink of water, and then scrubbing it down with soap and a scrub
brush. And for those that don't know, yes, Smithfield ham is best eaten
paper thin -- the thinner the better. If you can almost see your hand
through the slice of ham you've gotten a true treasure!

Tom
Eastern Shore & More Forum
http://www.easternshoremore.com/forum/