From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:43:51 -0600
I think pulling Jefferson's "every 19 years" out of context proves much.
  He wrote this is a letter and never said another word about it; never
pushed it, and certainly never acted on it.  As president he might have
said, in 1806, let's rewrite the Constitution.  He sure did not. Bosnian
  Serbs surely have a right to leave Bosnia; and southerners surely had
a right to go to Cuba or Brazil or wherever they might have been more
comfortable; that is different than deciding they can dissolve the
constitution and declare that the U.S. laws are no longer in force in
their states; and that U.S. property now belongs to them.

All of Constantine's examples are of minority regions *forced* to join
countries that were led by monarchs or dictators.  The Ukraine had no
choice in joined in the USSR (which in any event denied all people their
voice in the government.  After the fall of the USSR it was not
unreasonable to reconsider the relations between these places and the
new Russia.  Jefferson would argue they might have a right to revolt
because they were denied representation because the Soviet system, even
under Gorbachev, was not democracy.  The South was not forced to sign
the Constitution, or join the United States.  We might have been better
off if the South had created a separate slaveholding republic and the
North had been free to develop without the albatross of slavery.  But
that is not how it happened.

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor