From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:19:18 -0500
Melinda,

         I read you post and what came to mind was what would be the
experiences with grandparents and parents who fought and endured the
aftermath of the Civil War in African-American families? How similar? How
different? Explaining the experience from the white perspective is
interesting but doesn't suggest what may have happened in families down the
road. African-Virginians are southerner too. How did they describe the
source of their devilry? What was the worse appellate to be applied? I can
guess, but I'd like to hear it from the lips of a "true southerner" from
their own experiences.

                                                             Anne