From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 06:15:10 -0500
Holy Mackeral.... Was the Outcry?!?!?!  I'll let my more scholarly
counterparts handle the nitty gritty.  As for my family, they were against
secession and I think Mayo Cabell voiced it.  But it is difficult for us who
are removed a century and a half to evaluate whether it was an 'outcry 'or
not.  I think that once started, it took on a life of its own and many
Southerners arrived at the same conclusion (probably with equal anguish) as
Robert E. Lee -- he simply could not take up arms against his people.

That having been said, having spent some time in Charleston SC a few winters
ago, I almost convinced myself that if it had not been for John C. Calhoun,
there would have been no war.  (Over-simplified version :))

Randy Cabell