From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:27:59 -0400
Herbert,

According to Kukla, Tom pestered Betsey for ten years including during his
marriage to Martha. Note the pages I referred you to last night and the end
notes on the source of this information, ie. from the statement of John
Walker. Although I'm sure Jon Kukla could advise us of the authority and
location of the Walker statement, Betsey chose not to inform her husband of
why she found Thomas Jefferson distasteful as the executor of her estate
should she end up a widow, until TJ was safely out of the way in France.
Betsey was concerned that, in accordance with the honor code among gentlemen
at the time, TJ could challenge her husband to a dual, perhaps be the better
shot, and she'd end up under TJ's thumb.

Again, Herbert, I strongly recommend you read Jon Kukla's book instead of
condemning him to have the audacity to explore the issue further than to
merely assert that Jefferson was a Founding Fathers and must be held above
all suspicions.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert