From:
Leslie Morales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:28:40 -0500
Hollis --
Thanks for your note.

(1)  We were working from the WPA typescript on microfilm.  The first
column does not make make clear the relationship of the informant to
enslaved persons.
I've seen the birth registers (on microfilm).  Again, the identity of
the informant to enslaved persons is not made clear.

(2)  Overwhelmingly, the informants were individuals as opposed to
corporations.

(3)  My understanding is that the WPA typescript and original birth
registers are located at the Library of Virginia.  Because these
documents are so fragile they are held in LVA's off-site storage
facility.  The facility is open to the public only on Thursday and by
appointment.  If someone from LVA has different information, please
correct me.

(4)  However, microfilm -- of the WPA typescript and birth registers --
is available in the general research area.

(5)  Local History/Special Collections (LH/SC) has the microfilm of the
WPA typescript -- not the birth registers.

Additional notes:
(A1)  Volume 1 with surnames A-C has 664 pages; each of the four
remaining volumes has 600+ pages.
(A2)  We expect to publish the remaining four volumes before the end of
this year.

Leslie Anderson Morales
Reference Librarian
Local History/Special Collections