From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2017 21:29:31 +0000
The problem is this:  A common law marriage is a *legal* marriage -- assuming the state recognizes common law marriages (not all states do or did).  But no common law marriage can exist if the underlying marriage relationship violated the law.

For example, in the 19th century you could NOT have a common law marriage with certain relatives (sisters and brothers for example).  So, a sister and brother living as a married couple would never be legally married; same with plural marriages (as Mormons called them).  In Va. it has been illegal since the 17th century for blacks and whites to marry.   So there could be no common law marriage any other kind of marriage between a black and white Virginian.  Children from a such a marriage would have been illegitimate (bastards under the law), but, they could still inherit property through a will (but not through intestate succession if there was no will).  It was also illegal for a minister to perform a marriage between a white and black, so that the marriage would not have been recognized by religious law as well as by civil law.

On the other hand, a minister to could perform a marriage between two slaves -- the slave marriage would then have religious status (this was common all over the South) but it would nogt have any legal status.
 By the way, if anyone wants access to VA statues on slavery and an enormous amount of other material on slavery, go to this link and sign up FOR FREE to use this web site.
Slavery in America and the World: History, Culture & Law | HeinOnline

|   |
Slavery in America and the World: History, Culture & Law | HeinOnline
   |  |

Paul FinkelmanJohn E. Murray Visiting Professor ofLaw
University of Pittsburgh School of [log in to unmask]@yahoo.com
c)518.605.0296