From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 17:06:35 -0500
You (1) give me far too much credit for 'deciding' what should be in the
exhibit, and (2) give me only two choices.  I am not worthy of the first,
and am greatly constrained by the second.

I think it is wonderful that VHS is presenting an exhibit relative to
Jamestown, and apparently making an effort to put JTown within the context
of greater forces.  My concern/complaints are twofold:

#1 - They have (apparently) selected Jamestown as the focus, with which I
have no problems at all.  BUT they have chosen two settlements which date
AFTER Jamestown, one French and the other Spanish, specifying the dates of
these two implying (to me at any rate) that Jamestown was the first and
these two empires followed with their first permanent settlements, albeit
closely.

#2 - They have addressed my 'implying' in point #1 above by clearly stating
that the subsequent French settlement was the first PERMANENT French
Settlement in the New World, and that the subsequent Spanish settlement is
the first PERMANENT Spanish 'villa' in the new world.  My understanding is
that the first the first permanent French settlement in the New World was in
what is now Canada in 1604, and the first permanent Spanish Settlement in
the late 1500's.  I am quick to admit that these sources too, may be biased,
trying to take credit for French and Spanish 'firsts'.

I expect a forum or two could be dedicated to papers and debates on the
meaning of 'permanent' -- e.g.  I don't think anybody lived in Jamestown for
some period of time in the 18th and 19th centuries, and that the people of
Jamestown found their way into nearby settlements, therefore how can it be
'permanent' if nobody is there?  But that is not the issue for me.

From what I understand, the two irrefutable statements for which Jamestown
stands are:

1 - The first permanent English Settlement in the New World ( from which
though the path was a bit torturous at time, the United States grew as an
English county, English the official language, et al)
2 - The first elected legislative body in the New World (from which our
Virginia form of Government, and perhaps even that of the rest of the United
States, and more tenuously the spirit of democracy in Europe tooks is lead)

But there were PERMANENT French and Spanish settlements in the New World
before Jamestown.  The simplest fix is to remove the offending statements.
Let those two other settlements in the exhibit stand for what they are --
permanent French and Spanish settlements in the New World, for which there
are historical records and artifacts on display in Richmond.  i.e. they were
not the first for either empire, but they represent two significant
settlements which contribute to our better understanding of Jamestown and
the times.

We can be justly proud of the legacy of Jamestown.  Next year we celebrate
400 years of English America, and what that means to America.  But lets make
it clear that we acknowledge that the English were not permanently here
first.

Randy Cabell