From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 15:58:52 -0400
Not much makes it up to this part of Virginia from the CSS Hunley, but I know there are a lot of VA-HIST folks out there like me who are very interested. As you may have heard, they found Capt. Dixon, positively identifying him by the bent coin in his pocket.

The biggest news as far as I am concerned are the tours announced for Saturdays and Sundays beginning June 16 and going through September. Every 20 minutes I think. The seats are reserved, so I don't know what you see or what goes on. But in any case, its all at the Warren Lasch Conservation Center in Charleston SC. Additional exhibits there include models from the TNT movie THE HUNLEY, showing of REBEL BENEATH THE WAVES, showing of the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SPECIAL, Photo gallery of the artifacts, and two large screens of live footage from the tank area.

If you know when you are going to be in Charleston, you can order tickets on-line, and in fact print out the tickets in the privacy of your own home. A place to start is the wcbd Channel 2 site in Charleston, which ranks pretty high as user-hostile in reaching the tickets. The Friends of the Hunley site (Hunley.org I think) is another possibility, and I had better luck there. You will eventually end up buying the tickets at www2.etix.com, so what the heck, try there first.

Randy Cabell