From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2012 10:49:00 -0400
I don't find any reason to be amused but I would agree that the WPA surveys are just what they are: contemporary as of the 1930s, at which time the people were being interviewed. II do not think the evil white people were attempting to write propaganda. Were all the black people just making up stories to please the man (or woman?). I don't think we can say that. We weren't there. All you can do is take them at face value. I would never discount them nor would I put total stock into them. They were given by octogenarians talking to white folk. Just take it for what it is. The parts I like most are when they talk about specific people, like the "The Misuss"---those parts to me smack of truth, which to me came from real memories whether childhood or not. I also like when they talk about being freed, and what life was after that. I certainly would not discard these stories as some sort of White People Propaganda campaign. It is just what it is. I would  NEVER ignore or discard them as irrelevant material. In fact, quite the opposite. It is a rare day when we have quotes from people who lived at the time.

Craig Kilby