From:
Lonny Watro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2024 20:41:51 -0500
I have been searching to determine if John Turton Goff paid the 1783 VA
Supply Tax in Monongalia, VA, where he was living at the time.

Another researcher of the Goff family, Peter Goff, sent me this:

"1783 Personal Property Tax List: For Monongalia, we see brothers James
Goff and Salathiel Goff, but not John Turton Goff. Another brother, Thomas,
is in the 1782 Hampshire Co., VA tax list – 1783 appears to be missing.
I’ve never seen anything written about this, but I wonder if about half of
the Monongalia Co., VA tax list is missing. See
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS73-93D5-5?view=explore&groupId=TH-909-58591-88264-55
.
This shows there should have 463 whites, but I count 195. The 1785
Monongalia Personal Property Tax List has a check point for totals for each
column on each page. John Turton Goff lived in Monongalia Co., VA in 1783
- I think he was likely  on the missing pages."

Does anyone know if these tax records have missing pages? Or do they exist
somewhere? I know there was a fire later and records were destroyed in
Monongalia County. Monongalia County is now in WV. But during 1783 it was
in VA.

John Turton Goff lived along the disputed Maryland/Virginia (now WV)
border, but no tax record was found for him MD either.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Lonny Watro