From:
Barrett Decker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 02:33:43 -0400
Jurretta- I agree about education- I have often thought that some of the
critics of relic hunters would find that, if they showed up at an
association meeting and shared their expertise, the relic hunters would be
receptive. After all, most of them are into it because they love the
history. Many of them go to great lenths to document an ID disc or a named
artifact. They sure don't like the way that the archaeologists in Va act,
tho- I guess it's the combination of snobbery and  righteousness that seems
to manifest itself whenever they talk about relic hunters. If they could set
up a program documenting finds in the old relic hunting areas that are
already developed, I think the info would be very helpful in answering a lot
of the Civil War research questions that modern researchers are asking about
things like camps, fortifications, and skirmishes. And if they could
encourage relic hunters to document their finds for future reference, that
would be very helpful as well. But that would require a committment of time
and energy on the part of the archaeologists. Lets just say that I'm
skeptical that this would ever happen. As far as a law concerning artifact
recovery, who would be recovering the artifacts? The archaeologists most
times won't even look at it unless they're paid, so the law would serve no
purpose unless the relic hunters would be allowed to do it. Actually, relic
hunters from the No Va Relic Hunting Ass'n have participated in artifact
recovery projects  before, such as the one around the Stone House on the
Bull Run battlefield, or the grave finding project at Bristoe Station, but
they don't get asked very often -Barrett