Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 17:10:21 -0500
Harold (and all :)--

I mention the political position of these scholars only
because so many people who adopt the positions against which
we have been arguing assume that anyone who holds am academic
position at a University and produces academic scholarship of
necessity must be a flag-burning, America-hating "liberal."
That is, of course, a grotesque caricature, but it does seem
to me to be an implicit assumption shared by some of the
participants in this conversation.

Herman Belz is one of the finest scholars it has ever been my
privilege to know and to learn from, and is a man of deep
integrity and intellectual substance.  He has written widely
on constitutional matters of all sorts, but the work for which
he is best known is on Abraham Lincoln.

All best,
Kevin