From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 22:45:13 GMT
Linda,
Is there a way you can post the table to the site? I would love to have a copy for my files. Church law was carried out by the Vestry men of the parish. My understanding is that George Washington was a vestry men, as was Thomas Jefferson. Since they were the ones carrying out the law, it is unlikely that they were, "Under", the law (IMHO).

Anita

-- "Rowe, Linda" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
If I recall the original question about marriage, it had to do with the
frequency with which widows and widowers married the sisters and
brothers of deceased spouses. (I don't now recall whether other kindred
relationships were mentioned.) I'll just throw this out there for your
consideration. There was (and is) "A Table of Kindred and Affinity,
wherein whosoever are related, are forbidden in Scripture and our Laws
to Marry together" in every (Church of England) _Book of Common Prayer_.
There are 30 forbidden relationships for men and 30 for women. Number 17
on the list for a man is "Wife's Sister" and #17 for a woman is
"Husband's Brother." If I remember correctly, there is evidence that the
Table of Affinity was posted in some parish churches in colonial
Virginia. Interesting, no? I've no idea whether the table actually
figured in anyone's thinking once you get beyond not marrying immediate
blood relatives (such as grandmother, grandfather, father's sister,
father's brother, and so on). The Table of Affinity did not find its way
into laws passed by the colonial General Assembly, as far as I know.

Linda H. Rowe
Historical Research
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
757-220-7443