From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2014 13:30:56 -0400
Greg,

Thank you for the tip on using the ~ to find slave records in the wonderful chancery suit database. You are absolutely right that court records do pull up some horrible stuff. That's why they are in court in the first place.

Recently, I was asked to find some crowd-pleasing, titillating court cases from 1770-1780 for a group of re-enactors to portray at an upcoming festival. Oh, I found plenty of court cases, but none of them suitable for "family friendly" entertainment. Almost all of them were for theft, accusing such-and-so slave of so-and-so, who was usually found guilty and sentenced to have his hands burned and received 39 lashes. One poor soul was actually condemned to hang. And over in the other corner? Several white men accused of stealing a slave, who were let out on bond and the case was never of again.

So, yes, estate records do not give a total picture. They give a more every-day picture, outside the court room. Like any good research, all record groups need to be examined to compile a full and complete story.

Craig