Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:21:41 -0600
My grandmother and her family were part-Indian (her grandmother was
full-blooded), and living in Campbell County during the early 1900s.  They
are listed as "Mulatto" on the 1920 and 1930 census, and "Negro" in the 1930
census (the family members I could find on the census, anyway).  In
addition, many of my Mom's cousins have discovered that they were listed as
either "Colored" or "Negro" on their birth records.

Dr. Walker A. Plecker was the first registrar of Virginia's Bureau of Vital
Statistics (1912-1945). He may have been acting under the authority of the
Virginia government, but that does not erase the fact that, at the very
least, he was an extremely misguided man.  He corresponded with Joseph
Goebbels of Nazi Germany about his handling of the "Jewish problem", and was
known to have ordered the sterilization of many Virginia Indians and
African-Americans.  The aforementioned book, "Indian Island of Amherst
County," is a very good source on this evil man.

I may be calling Plecker evil because of my own personal prejudice, but he
is responsible for damaging thousands of lives.  Thank goodness men like him
are gone!

Jean Spradlin-Miller