From:
Bruce Terrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2011 14:49:16 -0400
That is a possibility.  Outside of Harris, I don’t find anything that states
Hanovertown took sea-going ships.  I recollect I recall reading in the past
that snows, a two masted vessel similar to a schooner, went to H-town.  It
was clearly some sort of port. In October 1765, the General Assembly enacted
a law which established tobacco inspection warehouses at various ports.
Pages warehouse, which became Hanovertown, is included in that edict.  Also,
I found an interesting mention in the 18 June 1841 Richmond Enquirer that said:

“To Hanover Town all the produce on Pamunkey river, as far up as
Littlepage’s bridge was carried down the river in boats suited for the
purpose, and all the tobacco made on the forest in any convenient distance
was also hauled to the same place.” It goes on to say that by the time
Richmond was made capitol, the river in that part went out of use.

This suggests, to me, that smaller vessels (poled boats?) carried produce to
H-town, where it was transferred to larger vessels.  I know that colonial
navies used oared sail galleys to navigate inland American waters and I
would think it likely that merchant craft did as well.

Sorry this is no help in locating the tavern.