From:
James Hershman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 07:33:11 -0500
It is interesting to note that a coalition of civil rights groups, led
by the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), chose 1 January
1959, Emancipation Day, to stage a protest march, the Pilgrimage of
Prayer, in Richmond to protest Virginia's Massive Resistance and the
closed schools in Norfolk, Charlottesville, and Warren County. Some of
the wrongs that Virginia needs to apologize for not only occurred in
1858 but in 1958. Perhaps, like South Africa, we need a Truth &
Reconciliation Commission to help heal the wounds of the nearer and more
distant past.

Jim Hershman