From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2011 16:06:34 -0500

Hi Folks,

The next meeting of the American Revolution Round Table of Richmond will occur on Wednesday, March 16.  Marc Leepson will speak on Lafayette: The Idealist General.  Details are at http://arrt-richmond.org/3.html.  Thanks to Marc’s publisher Palgrave Macmillan, we have a copy of his book for our raffle.  I’m sure Marc will be glad to inscribe it for the winner.  And he have copies available for sale.

Our Richmond’s Revolutionary Patriots – Cemetery Walking Tour is set for Saturday, April 16.  Debbie Phillips from Richmond Discoveries will be at the meeting with more details.  A follow up email later this month will also give specifics.  Please save the date.

Here are some other bits of information that will be of interest.

1.  ARRT-Richmond Board member Brent Morgan will be speaking on

      Behind the Spirit of '76

GRIVA takes an artistic turn with its first public program of 2011. Brent Morgan will present the story of Archibald Willard, the creator of the famous painting we know as the "Spirit of '76." Willard, born in 1836 in Ohio, joined the infantry and fought in the Civil War. His story presents another view of the Revolutionary War.

Brent Morgan is an active member of the Richmond Sons of the American Revolution, currently serving as the Registrar. His passion is researching Genealogy for families. Brent is also the current Vice President of GRIVA, our Publicity Chairman, and co-chairing with his wife Sharon of the GRIVA Fall Conference, which this year will feature Tom Jones.  Join us on March 22 at 1:45 p.m. at the Bon Air Presbyterian Church, 9201 West Huguenot Road, Richmond, Virginia. There will be a short GRIVA meeting before the program with refreshments and social time afterwards. Our meetings are free to the public and visitors are welcome.

2.  Here’s an interesting forthcoming lecture from VCU.

Dr. Saul Cornell will be giving VCU's first Society of the Cincinnati Lecture on
Wednesday, April 20th, at 4 pm in Richmond Salons I and II in the VCU
Student Center. Please feel free to pass this information along to anyone who
might be interested. Dr. Cornell is the Paul and Diane Guenther Chair of
American History at Fordham University and a Senior Research Fellow at Yale
University. He is the author or co-author of at least five books, 32 articles,
and dozens of amicus briefs, including to the Supreme Court. He has been a
guest on Newshour and National Public Radio, and has given lectures at
universities and law schools across the country.

Dr. Cornell will be lecturing on "Will the Real Founding Fathers Please Stand
Up:  The Original Debate over how to Interpret the Constitution" and provides
this description of the lecture:

"Modern Americans are basically divided over how to interpret the
Constitution. About half of  the people polled  on this question believe that
judges ought to seek  the original intent or understanding of the Founders.
The opposing view, which also commands broad respect, asserts that  the
Constitution ought to be interpreted as a living document.  Only one group in
America seems  resolutely against originalism—historians.  Although it may
seem ironic that historians, a profession devoted to understanding the past,
would oppose originalism, this conundrum  seems less puzzling if one looks
closely at the methods used by historians and those employed by originalists.
Indeed, the greatest irony of all may well be that a belief in a living
constitution was itself one of the original understandings of how the
Constitution ought to be interpreted."

This lecture is funded by the Society of the Cincinnati. It is free and open to
the public.

***************************
Sarah Meacham, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of History
Virginia Commonwealth University

3.  Here are more wonderful possibilities from SCAR:

Friends of the Revolution and SCAR Fellows:

We are happy to announce that we have planned several upcoming public events you are cordially invited to attend.

March 19, 2011 - Ninety Six, SC – Corps of Discovery – "Off the Beaten Path at Ninety Six" - meet us at the log cabin of the Ninety Six National Historical Site at 10:00 am.  Come early and tour the visitors center and view the new movie.  Morning tour – we will look at the traces of the colonial road network that converged on the trading and military center of Ninety Six.  We will walk along the 1770 Charleston “Ridge” Road, see the old Cherokee Trading Path and cover the early backcountry settlement, Gouedy’s Trading Post, Fort Ninety Six and French & Indian War actions at Ninety Six.  We will visit Ninety Six’s Revolutionary War sites starting with the first Whig v. Tory political and military actions in South Carolina in 1775.  We will cover Ninety Six’s role in the 1776 Cherokee campaign.  After lunch we look at Ninety Six’s role in 1780 - 1781 as a British backcountry base to suppress the Patriots in western South Carolina and to open communications with the British Cherokee allies.  We will see where Lt. Col. Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee paraded his British prisoners from Augusta and later successfully captured the British redoubt.  We will tour the British Star Fort, site of Gen. Nathanael Greene’s 1781 siege, and visit Greene's camps; and end up our tour with Lord Rawdon’s successful relief effort and the British withdrawal from western South Carolina.  Acclaimed novelist Charles Price will read from his novel, Nor the Battle to the Strong, describing the scene at Ninety Six in 1781.  Program coordinators are Mike Burgess and Dan Tortora.  Rain date - March 26, 2011. Lunch on your own - bring your picnic or jaunt into town for a quick burger.  Free event, public is invited.  Wear your hiking shoes; moderate hikes.  For more information, see http://southerncampaign.org/cod.php.
http://www.nps.gov/nisi/index.htm

March 24, 2011 – Columbia, SC – The South Carolina State Museum hosts a lecture by ARA Fellow Daniel J. Tortora on “1761 Prelude to Revolution, the French & Indian War in South Carolina” at 7:00 pm. The lecture will be followed by questions and answers on this 250th anniversary event.  The public is invited; $5.00 admission; State Museum members are free.  Sponsored by the South Carolina State Museum, the River Alliance, American Revolution Association, and Southern Campaigns of the American Revolution.  For more information see http://www.southcarolinastatemuseum.org or call Dr. Fritz Hamer at (803) 898-4942.

May 21, 2011 - Charlotte, NC - Corps of Discovery ... “Lord Cornwallis’ March to and Retreat from Charlotte, 1780 - into the Hornets’ Nest” … free, public invited carpooled tour.   More information will be posted at http://southerncampaign.org/cod.php.

There are many other worthy Revolutionary War themed events for fellowship and education which may be found posted on-line on SCAR’s Calendar of Upcoming Events.  http://southerncampaign.org/coe.php   We hope to see you there!

SCAR supports the development of a new park to interpret the 1776 Battle of Breach Inlet at the north end of Sullivan’s Island, SC.  This effort is being led by Doug MacIntyre of Charleston, SC.   Please let Doug know if you can offer any assistance to this worthwhile effort.   Please see details at http://thomsonpark.wordpress.com

Please forward this email to your friends.

Charles B. Baxley

Publisher

Southern Campaigns of the American Revolution

www.southerncampaign.org

4.  Finally, the First Congress of American Revolution Round Tables to be held at the University of Richmond on Saturday, May 14, is coming together.  To date, 14 ARRT’s plan to send delegates.  More details at the meeting.

I apologize for such a long post, but it’s great to see so many interesting items for your calendars.  See you at the meeting.

Bill Welsch